If you want to work for a national leader in water engineering, WMAwater is the home for you. Are you solutions driven? We are too. We provide innovative and sustainable solutions for our clients’ water and flood management needs. If you’re ready to make a change and looking for your next big challenge, why not join our team.
WMAwater is a dynamic water engineering consultancy working for a wide range of clients across government, water supply and management utilities, water infrastructure owners, and developers. We operate across four offices in Sydney, Brisbane, Geelong and Hobart. All offices are centrally located, making your commute to work easy and providing plenty of services nearby. Our work culture is guided by our values of:
- Fairness and equity
- Trust and accountability
- Team work
- Industry leading
- Client focus
- Valuing our people
Visit www.wmawater.com.au to find out more about us.
We currently have an opportunity for an engineer/hydrologist with 2 to 5 years’ experience in our Hobart office. Suitable candidates with more or less experience may also apply. Hobart is a great place to live and work, with a laid-back lifestyle, short commuting times, stunning natural scenery and a booming culinary and cultural scene.
In this role you would have the opportunity to apply your knowledge to cutting edge projects including development and support of flood forecasting systems, dam investigations, flood modelling, infrastructure projects, water supply and irrigation reliability studies, and development of flood management strategies. Exciting projects that our staff have recently work on include:
- Flood forecasting systems for dam safety management in Tasmania
- Warragamba dam raising investigations
- Update to Australian Rainfall and Runoff
- Yield and reliability assessments for new Tasmanian irrigation schemes
and we have many more in the pipeline.
Opportunities for the successful applicant include:
- Undertake a range of flooding related projects including hydrology and numerical flood modelling
- Modelling yields and water supply reliability to support sustainable water management
- Work as part of a dynamic team to develop and apply innovative solutions with the aim of delivering high quality solutions to clients. This includes contributing to in house and external software projects
- Work on nationally significant flood projects, as well as research that will drive future practice
- Possible travel across the state and country for projects or conferences
- Regular in-house training and mentoring by industry leaders, developing and enhancing your knowledge
- Opportunities to manage projects, manage and mentor staff, and a possibility of owning a share in the company in the future
- Opportunities for study assistance and flexible working arrangements
- Support for attending CPD events and attaining chartered status with Engineers Australia
- Social activities including drinks and weekly morning teas
Your skills and experience
The position would suit an Civil/Environmental Engineer, Environmental Scientist or other related discipline with some experience in the water industry. Skills in coding or statistical assessment and consulting experience would be highly regarded.
To be successful, applicants need to address the following criteria:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Science, or other relevant area of study.
- Some experience in flood management, hydrology and/or hydraulic modelling
- Ability to work collaboratively in a project team
- Problem solving skills with a high attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Additional qualifications, attributes and skill sets that are highly desirable include:
- Experience and strong interest in water management
- Experience and interest in programming, particularly in R or Python
- Previous experience or knowledge of hydrologic and hydraulic modelling software (WBNM, RORB, URBS, TUFLOW, Infoworks)
- Experience with ARR2019
- GIS capability (ArcGIS, MapInfo or QGIS)
How to apply
Written applications addressing the above criteria, along with a full CV and qualifications should be submitted to email@example.com. Applications will also be considered from recent graduates with a demonstrated interest in water engineering, and from more senior applicants.
Applicants must have the right to work in this location to apply for this job.
Applications will not be accepted from Recruitment Agencies.
Applications close on 10th January 2020