If you want to work for a national leader in water engineering, WMAwater is the home for you. Are you solutions driven? We are too. We provide innovative and sustainable solutions for our clients’ water and flood management needs. If you’re ready to make a change and looking for your next big challenge, why not join our team?
WMAwater is a dynamic water engineering consultancy working for a wide range of clients across government, water supply and management utilities, water infrastructure owners, and developers. We operate across four offices in Sydney, Brisbane, Hobart and Geelong. All offices are centrally located, making your commute to work easy and providing plenty of services nearby. Our work culture is guided by our values of:
- Fairness and equity
- Valuing our people
- Trust and accountability
- Team work
- Industry leading
- Client focus
We understand that the key to our success are our people and culture, we are therefore looking for a candidate who aligns with these values. Visit www.wmawater.com.au to find out more about us.
We have recently been awarded a number of nationally significant projects and we now have an opportunity for an engineer/hydrologist in our Hobart office. We will consider candidates at all levels from two years’ experience to principal. Hobart is a great place to live and work, with a laid-back lifestyle, short commuting times, stunning natural scenery and a booming culinary and cultural scene. We offer flexible working arrangements to suit your lifestyle.
In this role you would have the opportunity to apply your knowledge to cutting edge projects including development and support of flood forecasting systems, dam investigations, large and local scale flood modelling, infrastructure projects, water supply and irrigation reliability studies, and development of flood management strategies. Exciting projects that we are currently undertaking include:
- Development and support of flood forecasting systems for dam safety management in Tasmania
- Statewide flood modelling for Tasmania
- Warragamba dam raising investigations
- Updates to Australian Rainfall and Runoff
- Yield and reliability assessments for new Tasmanian irrigation schemes
and we have many more in the pipeline.
Opportunities for the successful applicant include:
- Undertake a range of flooding related projects including hydrology and numerical flood modelling
- Modelling yields and water supply reliability to support sustainable water management
- Work as part of a dynamic team to develop and apply innovative solutions with the aim of delivering high quality solutions to clients. This includes contributing to in house and external software projects
- Work on nationally significant flood projects, as well as research that will drive future practice
- Possible travel across the state and country for projects or conferences
- Regular in-house training and mentoring by industry leaders, developing and enhancing your knowledge
- Opportunities to manage projects, manage and mentor staff, and a possibility of owning a share in the company in the future
- Opportunities for study assistance and flexible working arrangements
- Support for attending CPD events and attaining chartered status with Engineers Australia
WMAwater recently launched our future leaders program. This program is designed to give you the skills to smoothly transition to senior management.
Your skills and experience
The position would suit a Civil/Environmental Engineer or other related discipline, with experience in the water industry. Skills in coding, modelling and statistical assessment would be highly regarded.
To be successful, applicants need to address the following criteria:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Science, or other relevant area of study.
- Experience in flood management, hydrology and/or hydraulic modelling
- Ability to work collaboratively in a project team
- Problem solving skills with a high attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Additional qualifications, attributes and skill sets that are highly desirable include:
- Experience and interest in programming, particularly in R, Python or XML
- Previous experience in hydrologic and hydraulic modelling software (WBNM, RORB, URBS, TUFLOW, Infoworks ICM)
- Experience and strong interest in water management
- Experience in the consulting industry
- Previous experience in hydrologic modelling for flood forecasting and yield studies
- Experience with ARR2019
- GIS capability (ArcGIS, MapInfo or QGIS)
How to apply
Written applications addressing the above criteria, along with a full CV and qualifications, should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered from applicants with a demonstrated interest in water engineering and pay will be in accordance with experience.
Applicants must have the right to work in this location to apply for this job. Applications will not be accepted from Recruitment Agencies. Applications close on 21st May 2021.
Applications will be assessed as soon as received and interviews arranged with suitable candidates.