What we offer you
We currently have an opportunity for multiple graduate and early career water resources engineers/ flood modellers/ hydrologists. The position is ideally located in Brisbane, but we are flexible, and are open to candidates in any of our offices. If you have more experience, then please also apply. We have recently moved to a new centrally located modern office space in Brisbane, providing fantastic amenities and end of trip facilities.
In this role you would have the opportunity to apply your knowledge to cutting edge projects including flood modelling, development of flood management strategies, infrastructure projects, development and support of flood forecasting systems, dam investigations, industry policy, water supply and irrigation reliability studies. Exciting projects that our team have recently worked on include:
- Assisting with the delivery of the Brisbane River Strategic Floodplain Management Study
- Flood Study for all of Tasmania
- Warragamba dam raising investigations
- Major infrastructure projects including Pacific Highway Woolgoolga to Ballina
- Update to Australian Rainfall and Runoff
and we have a number of major confidential projects in the pipeline.
Opportunities for the successful applicant include:
- Undertake a range of nationally significant flooding related projects including hydrology and numerical flood modelling
- Community consultation with flood affected residents
- Work as part of a dynamic team to develop and apply innovative solutions with the aim of delivering high quality solutions to our clients. This includes contributing to in house and external software projects
- Work on nationally significant flood projects, as well as research that will drive future practice
- Peer review of major infrastructure projects
- Possible travel across the state and country for projects or conferences
- Graduate program and regular in-house training and mentoring by industry leaders, developing and enhancing your knowledge setting you up for a successful career
- Future opportunities for delivery and accountability of projects, management and mentoring of staff, and a possibility of owning a share of the company in the future
- Study assistance and flexible working arrangements
- Support for attending CPD events and attaining chartered status with Engineers Australia
- A range of social activities (drinks, weekly morning tea) to maintain our inclusive and supportive culture
If you want to work for a national leader in water engineering, then WMAwater is the home for you. Do you want to work on more complex projects and be challenged at work? Are you solutions driven? We are too! We provide innovative and sustainable solutions for our clients’ water and flood management needs. Due to recently being awarded a number of nationally significant projects, we are looking for an early career engineer with the drive to play a key role in our team. If you’re ready to make a change and are looking for your next big challenge, why not join our team?
WMAwater is a dynamic water engineering consultancy working for a wide range of clients across government, floodplain management authorities, and water infrastructure owners. We operate across three offices in Sydney, Brisbane, and Hobart. All offices are centrally located, making your commute to work easy and providing plenty of services nearby. Our work culture is guided by our values of:
- Fairness and equity
- Trust and accountability
- Team work
- Industry leading
- Client focus
- Valuing our people
We understand that the key to our success are our people and culture, we are therefore looking for a candidate who aligns with these values.
Visit www.wmawater.com.au to find out more about us.
Your skills and experience
The position would suit a Civil/Environmental Engineer, Environmental Scientist or other related discipline with some experience in the water industry. Skills in coding or statistical assessment and consulting experience would be highly regarded.
To be successful, applicants need to address the following criteria:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Science, or other relevant area of study.
- Some experience in flood management, hydrology and/or hydraulic modelling
- Ability to work collaboratively in a project team
- Problem solving skills with a high attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Additional qualifications, attributes and skill sets that are highly desirable include:
- Experience and strong interest in water management
- Previous experience or knowledge of hydrologic and hydraulic modelling software (WBNM, RORB, URBS, TUFLOW, Infoworks ICM)
- Experience with ARR2019
- GIS capability (ArcGIS, MapInfo or QGIS)
- Experience and interest in programming, particularly in R or Python
How to apply
Written applications addressing the above criteria, along with a full CV and qualifications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will also be considered from more qualified individuals as we have a range of opportunities available.
Applicants must have the right to work in this location to apply for this job. Applications will not be accepted from Recruitment Agencies. Applications close mid-December, 2023. Applications will be assessed as soon as received and interviews arranged with suitable candidates.