Do you want to work for a national leader in water engineering, then WMAwater is the home for you. Do you want to work on more complex projects and be challenged at work? Are you solutions driven? We are too! We provide innovative and sustainable solutions for our clients’ water and flood management needs. Due to recently being awarded a number of nationally significant projects, we are looking for a hydrologist or flood modeller with a strong coding background. We need a strong coder to join our special projects team to help deliver several one-off projects. This includes online client data portals, analysing large datasets and industry tools like the ARR datahub. If you’re ready to make a change and are looking for your next big challenge, why not join our team.
WMAwater is a dynamic water engineering consultancy working for a wide range of clients across government, floodplain management authorities, and water infrastructure owners. We operate across four offices in Sydney, Brisbane, Geelong and Hobart. All offices are centrally located, making your commute to work easy and providing plenty of services nearby. Our work culture is guided by our values of:
- Fairness and equity
- Trust and accountability
- Team work
- Industry leading
- Client focus
- Valuing our people
We understand that the key to our success are our people and culture, we are therefore looking for a candidate who aligns with these values.
Visit www.wmawater.com.au to find out more about us.
What we offer you
We currently have an opportunity for a hydrologist with coding experience. The position is ideally located in Sydney. We have new and ongoing projects that use Python, “R” and FORTRAN.
In this role you would have the opportunity to apply your knowledge to cutting edge projects including flood modelling, development and support of flood forecasting systems, dam investigations, advice on industry modelling. Exciting projects that our team have recently work on include:
- Warragamba dam raising investigations
- Update to Australian Rainfall and Runoff
- Flood forecasting systems for dam safety management in Tasmania
- Multi agency client data portal
and we have a number of major confidential projects in the pipeline.
Opportunities for the successful applicant include:
- Undertake a range of nationally significant flooding related projects including hydrology and numerical flood modelling
- Work as part of a dynamic team to develop and apply innovative solutions with the aim of delivering high quality solutions to our clients. This includes contributing to in house and external software projects
- Work on nationally significant flood projects, as well as research that will drive future practice
- Possible travel across the state and country for projects or conferences
- Regular in-house training and mentoring by industry leaders, developing and enhancing your knowledge setting you up for a successful career
- Future opportunities for delivery and accountability of projects, management and mentoring of staff, and a possibility of owning a share of the company in the future
- Study assistance and flexible working arrangements
- Support for attending CPD events and attaining chartered status with Engineers Australia
- A range of social activities (drinks, weekly morning tea) to maintain our inclusive and supportive culture
Your skills and experience
The position would suit a Civil/Environmental Engineer, Environmental Scientist or other related discipline with some experience in the water industry and coding. Skill in statistical analysis and consulting experience would be highly regarded.
To be successful, applicants need to address the following criteria:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Science, or other relevant area of study.
- Some experience in flood management, hydrology and/or hydraulic modelling
- Experience in Python or R or willingness to learn
- Ability to work collaboratively in a project team
- Problem solving skills with a high attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Additional qualifications, attributes and skill sets that are highly desirable include:
- Experience and strong interest in flooding
- Previous experience or knowledge of hydrologic and hydraulic modelling software (WBNM, RORB, URBS, TUFLOW, Infoworks ICM)
- Experience with ARR2019
- GIS capability (ArcGIS, MapInfo or QGIS)
How to apply
Written applications addressing the above criteria, along with a full CV and qualifications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will also be considered from recent graduates to experienced individuals as we have a range and pay will be accordance with relevant experience.
We have a Covid-19 work from home policy in place and are planning our safe return to work strategy. The transition to work from home has been very efficient for our staff.
Applicants must have the right to work in this location to apply for this job. Applications will not be accepted from Recruitment Agencies. Applications close mid-December, 2023. Applications will be assessed as soon as received and interviews arranged with suitable candidates.